Max Caulfield and Chloe Price begin to investigate the conspiracy surrounding Kate Marsh and Rachel Amber. The pieces to the mystery surrounding Rachel's disappearance leads them to answers and the consequences of Max's powers lead to a conclusion that have devastating consequences for everyone she knows.
Max awakes from her sleep in her dorm at Blackwell Academy at night, still reeling over the events that led to Kate's attempted or successful suicide. After receiving a text message from Chloe to meet her in front of the school, she leaves the dorm. The two decide to break into Principal Ray Wells's office with the keys that Chloe had stolen from David Madsen. When they get to the second door, Chloe is frustrated that the key to it is not among the key she stole. Max has an idea and contacts Warren Graham for the instructions on how to construct a homemade pipe bomb. After collecting the necessary ingredients, Chloe and Max destroy the lock, but trigger the school's alarm at the same time.
Max enters into the Principal's office and rewinds time before the explosion occurred, allowing Chloe inside the room when she unlocks the door. While in there, Max fishes information from the student files of Nathan, Kate and Rachel, while Chloe finds disturbing material on the Principal's computer, including the cover up of Nathan's flagging grades, David Madsen's activities, and a mysterious drawing that reads "Rachel in the dark room" written over and over.
With the information they need, Chloe decides that they should leave. Before she gets up from the desk, she finds over five thousand dollars in an envelope meant for the handicapped fund. Max has the option of persuading Chloe to leave the money or letting her take it to repay Frank Bowers.
Before Max can return to her dorm, Chloe convinces her to break into the swimming area of the school. They enter through the boys or girls locker room. Max and Chloe eventually decide to play in the pool and have a conversation about their lives. After their swim, they prepare to leave, when they overhear the arrival of Blackwell Security, led by David Madsen investigating the noise. Max and Chloe hide and manage to evade detection before escaping the swimming area. With the campus crawling with security, Max is forced to follow Chloe back to her truck and escape the school.
She spends the night at her house and the next morning, as Max attempts to get dressed, she discovers that her clothes are still wet and smell of chlorine. Chloe suggests Max try on the clothes Rachel left in her closet, as they should fit her. When Max expresses uncertainty of about herself, Chloe attempts to encourage her and dares Max to kiss her. Max may or may not fall for Chloe's goad before she heads downstairs.
Downstairs, Max helps Joyce with preparing breakfast for her family. After helping Joyce with the ingredients, she has her meal. At the dinner table, Joyce and Max discuss the past and William over the Price's family photo album. Joyce gives Max a photo of Chloe and Max from 2008 as Chloe enters the living room.
Wanting to investigate the garage, Chloe distracts Joyce by starting an argument with her. Joyce, distracted by her daughter's behavior, pays no attention to Max who excuses herself to "use the bathroom". Max waits until Joyce's back is turned and enters the garage. Max decides to investigate David's laptop and searches the garage for a possible password. Max manages to find the password to David's laptop and discovers that Rachel Amber was romantically involved with Frank Bowers.
Max returns to the living with answers, but before she divulge them to Chloe, David returns to the house. When he accuses the students of Blackwell of vandalizing the school, a quarrel breaks out. Max and Chloe take the opportunity reveal that David has been spying on the students.Joyce demands David to leave the students and Max alone. The quarrel escalates and Max has the option of siding with him or Chloe.
When Max tells Chloe that Rachel was seeing Frank, she doesn't believe her. Deciding to prove her wrong, they plot to break into Frank's RV. Max and Chloe head to the Two Whales Diner to try and get information from inside his RV. She learns that Frank loved dogs and uses that fact on him to lure Frank to taking out his keys. Max takes the keys and rewinds time so that Frank isn't aware of that transpired between them. She returns to the RV and Chloe gives her a drumstick to lure, Frank's dog, Pompidou, away from the RV for the time being.
While investigating the RV, Max finds a accounting book with photos that confirm Rachel and Frank's relationship. When she shows the book to Chloe, she becomes angry and believes Rachel has betrayed her by not telling her about her relationship with Frank. On the way back to Blackwell, Chloe takes her rage out on Max, her family, and her father.
She drops Max off at the school and Max returns to the dormitory. Max regards the photo Joyce gave to her, and is surprised that she can hear voices coming from it. Focusing on the photograph, she travels back in time to 2008, to the day William was killed. She manages to hide William's keys and persuades him to take the bus. Her actions rewrite the timeline of her present.
When Max travels back to the present, she is shocked to discover she is now friends with Victoria Chase and a member of the Vortex Club. Her friend, Warren was now in relationship with Stella Hill. Dreading the worst has happened to Chloe, she boards the bus, and discovers David Madsen is the school's driver. When she visits the Price Household, she learns William is alive and well. Happy to see her, he calls for Chloe. Chloe arrives to the front door and Max discovers her friend is now a quadriplegic confined to a wheelchair.
- Handicap Fund
- You stole the money - 43%
- You left the money - 57%
- Double Dare
- You kissed Chloe - 79%
- You didn't kiss Chloe - 21%
- Madsen vs. Price
- You sided with Madsen - 17%
- You sided with Chloe - 83%
- You got Frank's dog hurt - 6%
- You kept Frank's dog from harm - 94%
- David's gun
- Chloe has David's gun - 70%
- Frank has David's gun - 30%
- Max's Plant
- Lisa is alive - 31%
- Lisa is dead - 69%
- Warren's exam
- You "helped" Warren with his exam - 27%
- You didn't "help" Warren with his exam - 73%
- The Vortex Club 1/2
- You are on the Vortex Club's party list - 63%
- You are not on the Vortex Club's party list - 37%
- The Vortex Club 2/2
- You erased some names from the Vortex Club party list - 23%
- You didn't change the Vortex Club party list - 77%
- Cellphone Message
- You erased the cop's answerphone message - 58%
- You didn't erase the cop's smartphone message - 42%
- You helped Alyssa - 70%
- You didn't help Alyssa - 30%
- Homeless Woman
- You warned the homeless woman - 38%
- You didn't warn the homeless woman - 62%
- Photo to the Past
- You took a photo from the past - 52%
- You didn't take a photo from the past - 48%
- Max's mark
- You left a mark on the fireplace - 40%
- You didn't leave a mark on the fireplace - 60%
|1||"Lua"[note 1]||Bright Eyes||4:32|
|2||"Santa Monica Dream"[note 2]||Angus & Julia Stone||3:20|
|3||"Piano Fire"[note 3]||Sparklehorse||8:36|
|4||"Kids Will Be Skeletons"[note 4]||Mogwai||5:27|
|5||"Got Well Soon"[note 5]||Breton||4:43|
References to other Media
- Max's Facebook header, "Time is Bunk", is a quote from Douglas Adams's novel, The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- Zachary's last name, "Riggins" is a reference to NBC primetime drama, Friday Night Lights. Mark Jefferson's voice actor, Derek Phillips starred in the series as a character named Billy Riggins, older brother of Tim Riggins.
- If Kate Marsh died, Max uses a quote from Joseph Kerouac's, The Dharma Bums:
- "“Are we fallen angels who didn't want to believe that nothing is nothing..."
- If Kate Marsh lived, Max uses the first stanza of William Blake's The Tyger from Songs of Innocence and Experience:
- "Tyger Tyger, burning bright / In the forests of the night; / What immortal hand or eye, / Could frame thy fearful symmetry?"
- If Kate Marsh died, Victoria will leave the quote, "Requiescat in pace" message Kate's Facebook. "Requiesact in pace", literally meaning "May he or she rest in peace", is a phrase popularized by Ezio Auditore da Firenze of Ubisoft Montreal's Assassin's Creed series.
- If David Madsen was suspended, a Facebook page calling for David to be fired features a Doge meme" dressed in a security uniform.
- Warren's quote on the "Fire David Madsen" page, "DAVID MADSEN: MALL COP", is a reference to the film Paul Blart: Mall Cop.
- In the Arcadia Bay cleans receipt in Victoria's rooms, the name of the employee who serviced Victoria is named Amelia Pond, a reference to the character from the fifth, sixth and seventh seasons of Dr. Who.
- When referring to little known facts about Victoria, Max begins her sentences with "Victoria's secret?" Victoria's Secret is major American retail store that was established in 1977 by Roy Raymond.
- During her phone call with Warren, Max tells him to "Bubble Hearth". In World of Warcraft, Bubblehearthing was the combination of Divine Shield and Hearthstone that allowed Paladins to transport to escape PVP or general combat.
- During Chloe's attempt to break into Principal Wells's office, she refers to Max as "Lupin". The character Arsène Lupin III of Lupin III is famous and notorious thief created by noted manga artist Kazuhiko Katō.
- Outside of Principal Wells's office, there is a hunting cap hanging on a coat hangar. Max's quote, "Only a total phony would wear a crappy hat like that" is a reference to the novel The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger.
- In the science lab, Max uses a variation of Leonard McCoy's "I'm a doctor, not a..." catchphrase when searching for weed killer.
- In Principal Wells's office, when taking the fifth optional photograph for the "Bokeh" achievement, Max and Chloe quote Tony Montana of Scarface:
- "Say hello to my little friend!"
- "Say goodnight to the bad buy!"
- If the player decides to take the money from the handicapped fund in Principal Wells's office, Max mentions making a trip to the Powell's Books located in Portland, Oregon.
- In the boys bathroom the message "Dana needs a baby daddy" features a Me Gusta face.
- In the Blackwell Academy Gym, Chloe and Max make several references to the 1975 film, Jaws, directed by Steven Spielberg.
- In the Arcadia Bay Police Department's website for missing persons, there are two major novel references
- One of the persons listed missing in Arcadia Bay is a man named Elton Kesey. Kenneth Kesey is an American novelist best known for his 1962 novel One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
- Another, Winston Smith, was listed missing since "6/08/1984". George Orwell's novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four, was published June 8, 1949.
- Chaos Theory refers to the the study of "behaviors in dynamical systems that are highly sensitive to initial conditions" such as the butterfly effect.
- Music featured in the launch trailer for "Chaos Theory" was "Seeker of the Truth" by George Timothy.
- May 6, 2015, the official Life Is Strange twitter announced updates for PlayStation and PC were made for Episode 1, Episode 2 and Episode 3.
- April 18, 2015, DONTNOD Entertainment began working on final lighting touches for "Chaos Theory", dialog for "Dark Room" and the structure of "Polarized"
- February 6, 2015, it was announced on Steam that early builds of Episode 2, and possibly the last three episodes, were leaked online (presumably by 4chan users).
There are twelve steam achievements the player can get in Life Is Strange.
|Xbox 360||Not Available||Not Available|
- ↑ Morning sequence in Chloe's Room.
- ↑ Optionally played in Chloe's Room
- ↑ Optionally played in Chloe's Room
- ↑ Played during Max's bus ride in the closing sequence
- ↑ Played in the preview for Episode 4